Thursday, March 29, 2012

Citrus Vinegar Enzyme Cleaner

I have two small children and pets. They all like to eat things off the floors and lick inappropriate surfaces.  So when I came across this recipe for homemade kid-friendly citrus cleaner I gave it a try.  Now I love it and use it to clean practically everything in my home!  The vinegar disinfects and the citrus cuts through grease and dirt and it smells great.  And I don't have to worry about using chemicals near my little ones.
Here's how to make it...

What you need:
1 gallon jar or container with a tight lid (I used an old glass pickle jar.)
1/2 gallon of white vinegar
various citrus peels - be very careful to use only the rind, not the white pith

Put vinegar & peels in the jar and shake up once a day for 3 weeks.  I added more peels as we ate more oranges during that 3 week time.  You can use any citrus fruit you have on hand. I happened to use oranges, grapefruit, and lemon.

After 3 weeks, strain out all the peels and gunk. Return to the jar and dilute to half potency with water.

It can be used as an all purpose cleaning spray for just about anything.  Dilute it by half again with hot water and use to mop hardwood, vinyl, or tile floors to get them shining like new again.

The Cost:
57 cents per bottle
Mr. Clean citrus cleaner = $2.27 per bottle

What I Purchased:
1/2 gallon white vinegar = $1.15
citrus peels; on hand

No comments: